Coconut water and meat are added for a deliciously sweet, mellow flavor.
Serves: 4 persons
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
- 1 kilo quarter-cut chicken (thigh or leg)
- 5 pandan leaves, washed and knotted
- 1 1/2 cups coconut water
- 1 head garlic, crushed
- 1 (2-inch) ginger, sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- whole peppercorns
- meat from 1 young coconut (buko)
- Clean the chicken well.
- Put the pandan at the bottom of a stainless steel pan.
- Arrange the chicken over it then add the coconut water, garlic, ginger, vinegar, bay leaf, sugar, and some peppercorns.
- Boil for 3 minutes then lower the heat and simmer for about 45 minutes or until chicken is tender and sauce has thickened slightly.
- Add coconut meat and cook for a few more minutes. Season as needed.
- Buko or young coconut is different from niyog, which is the mature coconut. Buko has a thinner tender meat and sweeter juice.
– Recipe from Yummy: Filipino Favorites. Published by Summit Media and edited by Mabel David-Pilar.